Lot #16

Arthur Lismer
Lighthouse, Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia

oil on board
signed lower left; signed, titled and dated 1940 on the reverse
12 x 16 ins ( 30.5 x 40.6 cms )

Provenance:
Private Collection, Winnipeg
Arthur Lismer was enchanted by the sea and its shorelines, more so than any other Group of Seven member. Sketches and paintings of both Canadian coasts were a favourite subject from his early days as an artist into his late career. Lismer lived in Nova Scotia from 1916-1919, where he depicted Halifax harbour scenes with military vessels from the First World War. He later vacationed in the Maritime province with his wife in the summers of 1930 and 1940. Lismer sketched the lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove in 1930; when he returned ten years later he painted the oil on board “Lighthouse, Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia” in shades of grey and mauve with a moody clouded sky.

Known officially as the Peggy’s Point Lighthouse, the current active lighthouse is among the most photographed in the world and an iconic Canadian landmark. The first lighthouse was constructed in 1868, and was replaced by the current red and white structure in 1914.

Share this item with your friends

Arthur Lismer
(1885 - 1969) Group of Seven, OSA, RCA

Arthur Lismer was born in Sheffield, England in 1885. He apprenticed there as an engraver for seven years. During his apprenticeship, at the age of 15, he became an illustrator for the Sheffield Independent. He studied at the Sheffield School of Art (1898 - 1905) and in Belgium at the Antwerp Academy (1906-07). Lismer came to Canada in 1911 where he was employed as an engraver at David Smith and Co. in Toronto. He later moved to the Grip company where he met other future members of the Group of Seven. He first visited Georgian Bay in 1913 and in 1914 made the trip again with Tom Thomson. He became one of the founding members of the Group in 1920. Lismer taught at the Ontario College of Art from 1915 and was principal at the Nova Scotia College of Art, Halifax from 1916 to 1919. He returned to Toronto to become vice principal of the Ontario College of Art from 1920 to 1927. He was involved in education at the National Gallery of Canada and later taught at McGill University. He painted landscape in northern Ontario, Nova Scotia, the St. Lawrence, the Gaspe, Newfoundland, and the Rocky Mountains. In his later years he exhibited at the Dominion Gallery.